The Shell modifier was added to 3ds Max in release 6, and a far as I know the Shell modifier was written by Peter Watje.
In this 3ds Max video tutorial we cover the Shell modifier (one of David Feno's favorite 3ds Max Modifiers) . He does the majority of his 3d modeling with splines, and the shell modifier is a perfect compliment. Begin with splines then apply an extrude to build working surfaces that can then apply modeling operations on such as cutting out windows and doorways. Once the Shell Modifier is applied all the edges clean up well. Another aspect of the Shell Modifier that is used often is the ability to select full areas of the new geometry such as "edged" or "outer faces" this is very useful in conjunction with a modifier like Delete Mesh. The shell modifier works with Splines, Meshes, Polys, Patches, NURBS when modeling in 3D Studio Max as you will see in this tutorial.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades